Thursday 23 December 2010

Ronaldinho, The Great

Picture by - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Darz_Mol
It has been revealed recently that Ronaldinho has agreed terms with boyhood club Gremio and will be saying goodbye to europe.

Anyone can easily talk about the good, bad and the ugly sides of Ronaldinho's career, but I'm going to remind myself and everyone about the good... the great.

Not much of a mainstream name whilst he was at Paris St Germain, his first European club, but he exploded onto the world stage in 2002 helping his country win the World Cup in Korea/Japan.

Of course I will always remember his goal vs England in the Quarter-Final (which was an accident!) which left me a stunned 10 year old boy. Even though I was young I could still see the talent that we would later see a lot more of.

After his impressive World Cup eyes turned and the bigger clubs in Europe started their bidding war. He was close to a move to Manchester United if you believe reports, but his destination was to be Spain and a great shame that the Premier League missed out.

Like most Brazilians you could see how much he enjoyed his football, the smiling assassin just never stopped smiling. He played samba football at it's brilliant best, a truly remarkable player who did so much in his 5 years with the Catalunya giants.

Two La Liga titles, two Spanish Super cups, a Uefa Champions League and lets not forget all those individual awards including FIFA World best player two years running in 2004 and 2005. He couldn't be touched by any player in those two years, the undisputed best player in the World.

He now says goodbye to Europe as a fading talent, in a similar fashion as most Brazilians before him. He is one of my personal favourite players and I don't think I am the only one.

I don't think we can forget the passion he had for the game, his celebrations alone show his enjoyment and also the passion he has whilst playing football and he was a better player for it. We shouldn't forget how great he was. I certainly won't.

Make sure you watch the video below!


No comments:

Post a Comment